This field is a user-defined set of XML data that is made accessible to the template for personalization of the message. The following rules apply:
- It must be well-formed XML
- It must start with a <Recipient> element.
- It must contain a <EmailAddress> element (this is the email address to whom the message will be sent).
- It may contain a <RecipientId> element.
- It may contain an unlimited number for customer elements to be used by the email templates for personalization.
<Recipient> <EmailAddress>firstname.lastname@example.org</EmailAddress> </Recipient>
Specifying a Recipient Id
The optional <RecipientId> element has special meaning. When it is present, it will be passed back to you in the detailed activity data (clicks, opens, bounces, etc.). This is very helpful to you if you have your own unique identifier for your customers. When you process you response/activity data, you can store the activity data using your identifier instead of using email address.
<Recipient> <EmailAddress>email@example.com</EmailAddress> <RecipientId>FF123456789</RecipientId> </Recipient>
Data for a Highly Personalized Template
All elements of the recipient XML may be used to personalize your email content.
<Recipient> <EmailAddress>firstname.lastname@example.org</EmailAddress> <FirstName>Joe</FirstName> <LastName>Last Name</LastName> <Gender>M</Gender> <Order> <OrderNumber>123456</OrderNumber> <Item> <SKU>2304974353</SKU> <Desc>Hammer</Desc> <Price>25</Price> <Qty>2</Qty> </Item> <Item> <SKU>34354545</SKU> <Desc>Saw</Desc> <Price>19</Price> <Qty>1</Qty> </Item> </Order> </Recipient>